Art Direction

29/5/2026 - 29/7/2026 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Wee Jun Jie / 0375271 
Art Direction / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Individual Project Progression 



 Progression 
Week 01 - Task Arrangement
As the team leader, I first outlined the tasks, and then we all discussed our ideas together.

Task Delegation - Team Meetings


Week 02-03 - ideation and Game Research
Although this was an individual assignment, it laid the foundation for our group's new art direction for Subway Surfers. In the end, our team decided to adopt a black-and-white style, though we still had no clue about the specific gameplay at that point.


Week 04 - Game Visual Analysis





In this exercise, I take part in artistic target, and style range finder, then used these frameworks to define a clear and consistent visual direction. At first, it felt a bit complex, but after trying it out together with my teammates a few times, I gradually got the hang of it. It served as a great comparative study using Subway Surfers, and it was a lot of fun!


Week 05 - Brainstorm the whole gameplay




I discussed my ideas with my team, and they agreed on the proposed mechanics. Together, we decided to move forward with designing the game around these rules.


Week 07-08 - Sketchy and Reference Study


Our group progress folder


Draft sketch TAT



Train Final with different angle

This week, everyone focused on their assigned tasks. I spent the entire week learning how to draw trains and work with perspective which was quite challenging for me since I don't have a drawing background.


Week 11 - Waiting Progress from members


AI Generate References


Logo Design Progress

While waiting for my teammates to make progress, I realized we still needed a logo. I used AI to generate a concept matching our theme and then manually recreated my own version based on it. The whole process took about two weeks. After getting feedback from our lecturer, they suggested using 'Doodle Edition' in the title to better fit our theme.


Week 12 - Collect and Refine


Edit the hierarchy based on member's feedback


1st Edition made by Shawn


UI Refinement by me


Splashes Design

Shawn’s initial UI design was very thorough, but it didn't fully align with our stroke weight and overall visual style. After discussing it as a team, I took charge of refining it removing delicate line details and using our main theme yellow to build stronger contrast for better usability.

After completing the UI, I felt something was still missing and realized we had forgotten splash icons. I designed several splash graphics to serve as collectible in-game items; players can pick them up while running and redeem them for rewards like character skins.


Week 13-14 - Mockup and Slide Preparation






AI Work file Progress


Game Scene Design

Overall, these past two weeks have been extremely busy for me as I handled the majority of the workload including the UI mockups, screen margin controls, and leading the final presentation deck. Consequently, the remaining art assets relied heavily on my teammates' hard work!


 REFLECTION 
What did you learn/enjoy the most about this module?
What I enjoyed most was taking a well-known 3D title like Subway Surfers and re-imagining its visual identity into a cohesive, hand-drawn "Doodle Edition." This process taught me how crucial visual hierarchy, stroke weight, and strategic accent colors are in maintaining readability. I also really valued stepping out of my comfort zone learning perspective drawing and train illustrations from scratch was a steep learning curve, but seeing the final UI, logo, and splash assets come together made the effort incredibly rewarding. Furthermore, learning to bridge art direction with gameplay mechanics (like creating collectible splash icons for in-game rewards) gave me a much deeper appreciation for full-cycle game design.

What areas of improvement you can implement to better improve your Art Direction sense in the future?
Moving forward, the key area of improvement I want to implement is establishing a standardized Style Guide at the very beginning of the creative process. In this project, correcting line weights and UI consistency later in the schedule required extra iteration; having clear stroke and margin guidelines early on would streamline collaboration. Additionally, I want to keep strengthening my foundational drawing skills, particularly perspective and line work, so I can translate conceptual ideas into final assets faster. Lastly, I plan to align gameplay mechanics with art direction much earlier in my timeline, make sure every visual element serves a clear functional purpose from day one.